January 5, 2018
How Personal Injury Lawyers Help after a Car Accident
The Ontario government considers road safety a top priority. As vehicles and technology become more advanced, so does the demand on the transportation infrastructure, creating new road safety challenges.
Although Ontario had second lowest ranking in 2010 road fatalities for North America, one report reflected a 7.3 percent increase in car collisions from 2014 to 2015. New technologies and developments, plus more drivers on the road can potentially increase risk. Should you find yourself in a motor vehicle accident, there are important, immediate steps to take:
Things to Do after a Motor Accident
- Seek Medical Attention – Some injuries seem minor, but can be life-threatening. A thorough medical checkup can rule out serious injuries like internal bleeding and organ damage.
- Call the Police – A successful damage claim requires a timely police report. The police gather vital information about the accident and interview witnesses on the scene.
- Seek a qualified personal injury lawyer – Most personal injury lawyers offer free legal consultation to determine if a client is qualified for a damage claim. They also provide a thorough explanation of victims’ legal rights and options.
Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you are looking to receive compensation following a car accident, find a reliable personal injury lawyer with years of experience and a proven track record. They will represent you and keep your interests at heart as they contact the insurance companies involved. Here’s how a personal injury lawyer can help after a car accident:
- Gathers more information about the accident
- Determines the party at fault using facts of the case
- Conducts interviews with witnesses and other parties involved
- Files and submits the appropriate forms on time to the court and opposition
- Negotiates with insurance companies
- Provides clients information about legal precedents and applicable past cases
- Guides clients throughout the process, paperwork, etc.
Personal injury lawyers can help you recover funds for the following damages:
- Economic – Accident victims can receive compensation for out-of-pocket expenses (e.g. medical bills, physical rehabilitation, loss of present and future wages, prescriptions, and funeral costs) that are incurred as a result of an accident.
- Non-Economic – Car accident victims suffering from pain, trauma, and mental anguish can receive compensation for these “non-economic” or mental/emotional damages.
The personal injury lawyers at Michelle Linka Law Professional Corporation have the experience, knowledge, and skills necessary to assist car accident victims. We represent the injured to insurance companies and work hard to get them the compensation they deserve. Our team is committed to protecting your legal rights. Please call us at 416-477-7288 for a free consultation. You do not need to pay us for our services until you receive compensation for injuries, damages, and/or losses.